Re: [News] Vista 'Feature' Makes Dual-Boot Much Harder

__/ [ NoStop ] on Saturday 29 April 2006 16:48 \__

> On Friday 28 April 2006 02:29 am, Roy Schestowitz had this to say in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> BitLocker gives dual-boot systems the elbow
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Infosec Security features introduced in Windows Vista will make setting
>> | up PCs to boot in either Linux or Windows far more difficult, according
>> | to security guru Bruce Schneier. Vista is due to feature hardware-based
>> | encryption, called BitLocker Drive Encryption, which acts as a
>> | repository to protect sensitive data in the event of a PC being either
>> | lost or stolen.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/27/schneier_infosec/
>
> Who cares? Only losers would want to run Fista anyways.

*LOL*

I can't say that I agree. It's an impulsive statement. If anyone shows true
intentions of migrating to Linux for the first time,
Cygwin/virtualisation/dual-booting would the best transitory phase.
Dual-booting may be the simplest to set up because certain modern
distributions come with a partitioner within/joint to their installer.
Unlike VMWare/Cygwin, no download and setups are required, assuming a friend
has a Linux CD or bundle at hand.

More reasons for dual-boot: Data migration from one partition to another;
ability to practice the new applications one 'lump' at a time; and when
uncomfortable, the user can 'escape' to Windows.

Think, for example, about the user who has only used Linux for 3 days and
whose boss gave him/her an urgent task. With immature GNU/Linux habits and
familiarity at hand, Windows may still be the quicker way to get things
done. A learning curve is involved and what better cussion will the user
have? Anything other than Windows? I doubt it. When Windows becomes
unacceptable and its many flaws are realised (by looking and understanding
its superior alternative, to which there is no parity), the Windows
partition can be ReiserFS's (or ext2'd or whatever) to reclaim the drained
space. You could analogise this to moving fish from one aquarium to another.
Look at the folks at Munich. I believe their first stage involved OpenOffice
on Windows, for those who were least adventurous/most skeptical.

Just my opinion,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:10pm  up 2 days  0:15,  13 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.42, 0.57