Re: Vista 'Feature' Makes Dual-Boot Much Harder

__/ [ Dean G. ] on Friday 28 April 2006 18:05 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> BitLocker gives dual-boot systems the elbow
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Infosec Security features introduced in Windows Vista will make setting
>> | up PCs to boot in either Linux or Windows far more difficult, according
>> | to security guru Bruce Schneier. Vista is due to feature hardware-based
>> | encryption, called BitLocker Drive Encryption, which acts as a
>> | repository to protect sensitive data in the event of a PC being either
>> | lost or stolen.
>> `----
>>

> This seems a bit odd. How can Vista "feature" hardware based encryption
> unless it includes ,umm, hardware ? Otherwise Vista will only be able
> to do this on PC's that have the encryption hardware.
>
> Dean G.

It reminds me of some articles that surfaced last year. Actually, I
summarised them in:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/05/29/intel-sidles-close-to-microsoft/

There appears to be some negotiation over chip-level support for control over
access to content. If the hardware does not support this, perhaps this
feature will be unavailable, e.g. greyed out. Either way, you may be looking
at O/S-specific hardware, much as in Winmodems. Bad, bad stuff. In jeopardy
is the data (or media) as well.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:10pm  up 1 day  1:15,  13 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.55, 0.54