Re: [News] Washington Post: Windows Spies on Users Without Their Consent

__/ [ M ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 19:59 \__

> John A. Bailo wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> http://digg.com/software/Microsoft_Scanning_your_computer_for_piracy
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>> It mentions XP -- but do you think it covers w2k as well?
>
> If you are getting updates in the same way that XP does, then almost
> certainly yes. You can tell they are doing this when you use IE to download
> your updates. It tells you it's going to download an Active X component
> which they say, amongst other things, will authenticate your installed
> version of windows.
>
> If you have got an illegal version of windows, you don't get the updates,
> so you are left with a machine that is even *more* likely to be
> compromised. That will have all the bot controllers rubbing their hands
> together.

So Microsoft, in essence, promote the existence of crucial bugs in their
software -- whether legally purchased or not (primarily the latter). In due
time, more DDOS attacks and spam should be expected. I thank Microsoft,
again.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
  6:35am  up 4 days 15:46,  9 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.58, 0.68