Re: [News] Washington Post: Windows Spies on Users Without Their Consent

  • Subject: Re: [News] Washington Post: Windows Spies on Users Without Their Consent
  • From: Bobbie <bobbie4(remove-this)@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:11:18 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
While performing an interpretive dance to Enya's Carribean Blue, High
Plains Thumper exclaimed:

> B Gruff wrote:
>> linuxiac wrote:
>>
>>> They power it up in a bout a week, after unpacking it and
>>> setting everything up on the new desk they ordered and had
>>> to wait upon delivery... then, they go to register and
>>> find that their numbe has already been registered, and
>>> that they are now the thieves!
>>
>> My first reaction was "this guy is a fruit cake".
>> My considered reaction is, "This guy is likely on to
>> something.  I wonder how many local sellers are ripping off
>> MS, pre-loading stuff that they never paid for?"
>>
>> You may scoff, but I have a large number of friends who
>> have bought locally, and sweet-talked the local supplier
>> into putting all sorts of things onto their new PC, - Pro
>> instead of Home, MS Office, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and it
>> all seems to be supplied at no extra cost, but WITHOUT
>> media - it's all pre-loaded!
>>
>> Makes me wonder how often the OS is ripped also off by the
>> suppliers, and what this MS initiative will do to them.
>> Don't get me wrong - I'm all for it - the more people have
>> to pay for (as opposed to steal) their MS and other
>> proprietary stuff, the happier I am!
>
> I pondered similar questions, one was with
> http://www.blacksunware.com/
>
> http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=138837
> http://xtremods.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-7447.html
> are threads on legality.
>
> It now comes up as "Server not found.  Firefox can't find the
> server at www.blacksunware.com."
>
> They sold download versions of XP Pro for under $50 US.
> AFAIK, XP Home was like $39 US (22 GBP).  I was surprised to
> see them stay in business as long as they did.

Here, let me reach into my spam filter and dig up dome dregs for you.

http://2007ad.com/
or
http://007oem.com/
or
http://next.oemcasa.com/

Gotta wonder though how authentic their copiy of Windows Office Pro 2003
is if they're selling it for $69.00 down from $550.00

--
Bobbie the Triple Killer is at http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm
Today's posting comes via the numbers 0 & 1, Suse 10.0 and Pan Newsreader.