Re: [OT,News] Chinese sites to purge 'unhealthy' content

  • Subject: Re: [OT,News] Chinese sites to purge 'unhealthy' content
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 26 Apr 2006 12:52:59 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:39:31 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

> > I posted this to the search engines newsgroup this morning. It's worrisome.
> > Would you believe that China blocked the WordPress (Open Source blogging
> > platform) Codex, which merely provides technical docomentation in the form
> > of a Wiki?
> >

> > Roy
>
> And why do you think they like Linux so much?
>
> Access to the source code is one reason.
> The Chinese Govt. if they hold true to form, is going to have the
> "official Govt Sanctioned Version of Linux" so full of back doors, spyware
> and so forth that it will keep them spying on their citizens well into the
> next decade and beyond.
> You watch and see because it will happen.

Remotely related is this news story that I saw about a week ago. I'm
actually surprised that I didn't see it mentioned here.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060419/china_yahoo_dissident.html?.v=3

<quote>
t was the third time the U.S.-based Internet company has been accused
of helping put a Chinese user in prison.

Jiang Lijun, 39, was sentenced to four years in prison in November 2003
for subversive activities aimed at overthrowing the ruling Communist
Party.

Hong Kong-based Yahoo Holdings Ltd., a unit of Yahoo Inc., gave
authorities a draft e-mail that had been saved on Jiang's account,
</quote>

The interesting point is the "Yahoo Inc., gave authorities a draft
e-mail that had been saved on Jiang's account" - which to me says that
he never emailed or sent the letter. He had simply composed it on-line
and saved it in his drafts folder.

Things like this are one very big reason why stuff like ajaxWrite (or
whatever it is) that lets users do word-processing online will have
very limited success. Clearly Yahoo (or whoever) can and does access
the on-line documents users create.

In China you go to prison for simply composing (but not sending) things
like this. Here you'll probably get spam, junk mail or something. But
whatever it is, it's going to be a long, long time before user start
using on-line word processing tools IMO.