Re: Gnome looks hideous

__/ [ Kier ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 08:59 \__

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=2&id=32146&file1=32146-1.jpg&file2=32146-2.jpg&file3=32146-3.jpg&name=Glass+Icons+Theme

> Where can those handsome icons be obtained? Is it from www.gnome-look.org
> itself, or elsewhere? I tend to run a Mac-like theme, but not with
> Mac-like icons, myself.
>
> <snip>

        http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=32146

Also see:

        http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=13548

>>> I understand it if Gnome cannot keep up with KDE or OS X, but to be
>>> worse off than it was 2 years ago is pathetic. Almost makes me think
>>> that Gnome development and its widescale acceptance by most big
>>> vendors/distros (Redhat, Novell, Ubuntu, etc.) is a Microsoft
>>> conspiracy :) Of all the desktops currently available for Linux,
>>> barring twm, icewm, and the like (no even fvwm looks and feels better),
>>> Gnome is absolutely the worst desktop available. I mean, are these
>>> people on meth or something. Forget looks, how about usability ?
>>> Settings are hidden away in the most unintuitive corners possible (or
>>> maybe my imagination is limited and things could be worse still).
>>

>> GNOME is not as flexible. Linus Torvalds has criticised such choices,
>> which had been arrogantly made in interests of simplicity. For that
>> reason,  I presonally favour KDE, but I use GNOME sometimes and I
>> respect it for its merits, simplicity and intuitiveness being at the
>> top.
>
> I think Linus, while perfectly entitled to express his opinion, might have
> phrased it a little better :-) After all, the many users of Gnome, which
> includes myself, are likely to feel just a bit miffed at being categorised
> in such a fashion.

Yes, "Interface Nazis" (was that the phrase? My memory tells me so) is no
flattering stereotype.

>> Novell chose GNOME as the default desktop environment for some products.
>> This must have had a reason. As for abolishment of old WM's, bear in
>> mind that developers migrated from the old projects to GNOME or KDE. You
>> can still get reliability and lightweight consumption from the
>> old-yet-highly-stable WM's. Whether you wish to boost system performance
>> or make use of legacy hardware, modularity saves the day.
>
> The great thing about Gnome, and indeed any wm, really, is that poor
> design decisions will usually be corrected, if they're unpopular enough.
> The Gnome developers presumably want their product to be used, and if
> enough people switch to something else because of their design mistakes,
> they'll probably get the message eventually (not that I'm suggesting they
> *are* necessarily mistakes; personally, I've no particular problem with
> Gnome).
>
> <snip>

There are some features in GNOME that I wish we had in KDE. For example, some
time ago I posted a proposal for maximised window snapping. Other than
approval, I could only be advised to post a wishlist item in Bugzilla.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  9:10am  up 3 days 18:21,  8 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.77, 0.75