Re: eBay != windows

__/ [ asj ] on Wednesday 26 April 2006 07:34 \__

> asj wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> > To add context, Google use Linux whereas eBay heavily use Windows
>> > technology.
>>
>> although the web server of eBay is IIs, the backend is Java EE.
>>
>> Sun and IBM helped develop the current eBay infrastructure in 2003.
>>
>> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jacksjpt/archive/2003/07/java_case_studi.html
>>
>> If you look at the upper right side of eBay pages, you'll see a Java
>> logo.
>
> with regards to OS being used in the eBay servers (as opposed to
> software), it is probably a combination, but there surely is a lot of
> Sun unix servers in there:

http://news.com.com/eBay+to+buy+hundreds+of+Sun+x86+servers/2110-1010_3-5973926.html

I stand corrected. I thought eBay were deeply entangled in Microsoft
technology and dependent on their DLL's to manage auctions.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
  8:20am  up 3 days 17:31,  10 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.61, 0.60