Re: Google As a Service-Based O/S (SOA, Linux-Powered)

__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 01 August 2006 02:29 \__

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2006/07/31/contemplating-the-google-operating-system/

>> There's one very, very major problem with Google though; privacy.
>> Google has the most ominous practices when it comes to gathering
>> information about its users.
>
> Let me put it explicitly; I am actually far more willing to trust
> Microsoft in this regard than Google! I, like most people, used
> Microsoft products for many years before Google came on the scene,
> however, I don't recall ever feeling freaked out by Micorosoft
> practices being too intrustive or me being unable to control them. I
> was, however, freaked out at least twice by Google in this regard.

But  that is essentially the same concern that Windows  Live
will  introduce.  It all stems from the fact  that  software
becomes  an  offshorn service rather than a process that  is
purely  operated by your own hardware and  locally-installed
software.  Companies  have  greed to  retaining  information
because  it gives power (think Google Trends, for  example).
And,  yes, Google have got some logs. Some of them have even
reached  the US Government, I suspect, having been  weakened
by  the DoJ. Privacy and national security will become a big
issue in the age when Web services prevail and expand.

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
Swap:  1036184k total,   384168k used,   652016k free,    50692k cached