Re: Four Countries Order 4 Million Linux-Powered OLPC Laptops

  • Subject: Re: Four Countries Order 4 Million Linux-Powered OLPC Laptops
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:16:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:36:17 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> The whole thing is getting madder.
>>>
>>> Talk about replacing books. oh huh. And what happens when you drop this
>>> thing?
>>
>> The idea is they're designed to be rugged (not indestructible, obviously,
>> but very little is).  I would presume they're not meant as a replacement
>> for books, that would be silly. They're an extra tool.
>
> YOu would think so would you? But no. read the linked article or
> "preview" and Roy's comments.
>
> I actually see very little use for a lpatop in a classroom. It stunts
> writing abilities, makes a racket and is only really useful for cheating
> on ones homework. Maybe I'm a traditionalist.

You think I'm not? Books are, of course, extremely important, and i would
not for a second wish to see keyboards comepletely overtake pens and
pencils and writing paper.

Some of this laptop scheme may be pie in the sky, but it'll scale down
when they actually start getting the thing going. Better to aim as high as
you can to begin with, to let ideas in, and then work down to
practicalities as the project takes real shape.

>>> "3,000 people have signed up, 97000 more needed"
>>>
>>> I suppose that since they will be made of plastic they could also be
>>> used to line the sides of the village well.
>>
>> Have you seen what they're intended to be like?
>>
>> When the wind-up radio was made, it was designed to resist dust, be easy
>> to fix and hard to break. As I understand it, they're thinking along
>> similar lines for this laptop.
>
> A computer is not a wind-up radio. It has solid state electronics in it
> which is prone to temperature fluctuations, knocks, static, etc etc.

True. Nothing is perfect. I don't suppose they are stupid enough to think
it can't be broken. The idea is to make it less hard to break.

> I'll believe it when I see it.
>
> See the price of "industrial laptops" for real world use and you'll see
> what I mean.

They're usually of a much higher spec. This is being designed from the
ground up with these things in mind.

--
Kier