Re: [News] SUSE Linux Enterprise Very Well Received

  • Subject: Re: [News] SUSE Linux Enterprise Very Well Received
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 02:00:09 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gubo Dangle
<gubo.dangle.nospam>
 wrote
on Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:25:55 GMT
<mn.28537d684aef663b.58309@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote on 28/07/2006 :
>> Tremendous Reception to SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 From Novell
>>
>> Ten Days After Its Official Launch, Over 165,000 Downloads of SUSE Linux
>> Enterprise 10 Products
>>
>>                 http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060728/sff019.html?.v=60
>

> It doesn't say how many decided to keep it though.

A point, indeed a point.  It's one of the problems with
Linux, in that it's hard to track usage.

However, considering that Windows machines are all too easy
to track for spyware, malware, and just plain slopware,
there's probably a few who did in fact decide to keep it
installed, and probably even the occasional one who wiped
Windows off his or her drive.

I don't advocate wiping Windows, BTW -- I advocate not
paying for it in the first place, because of the "Microsoft
Tax"; there's a few issues in procurement/purchasing that
may preclude that, however.  If one has sufficient space
of course one can set up a dual-boot (or, as some put it,
"duel-boot" :-) ), with GRUB or LILO.  In a pinch one
can use products such as coLinux or Cygwin (the latter
isn't really Linux but does set up a somewhat Unix-like
environment); it is also possible to install a Linux and
use VMWare for Windows, and one might even fiddle a bit
with UML.

All of this plays merry hob with such things as CALs and
usage statistics.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.