Re: My College Doesn't Support Linux For Students Either.

  • Subject: Re: My College Doesn't Support Linux For Students Either.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:18:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Saturday 05 August 2006 10:51 \__

> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Gilly Quansett wrote:
>>
>>> ...and why should I even bother using Linux? <SNIP> Why?
>>> <SNIP> What good reason is there to use Linux? <SNIP>
>>
>> (sniffing the air)
>>
>>> I can get a Thinkpad at a very attractive price that comes
>>> with all the software I need to complete my studies, which
>>> is my primary focus at this point. Everything is guaranteed
>>> and officially supported.
>>
>> (sniffing the air again ....)  Square peg in round hole?
>>
>>> I am a Communications major and while I like to tinker with
>>> computers, I see no need to complicate my already complex
>>> life trying to fit Linux, the proverbial square peg, into a
>>> round hole.
>>>
>>> Why should I worry about whether my presentations are going
>>> <SNIP> Why should I take the chances that I might
>>> negatively <SNIP> Why? <SNIP>
>>
>> (further sniffing the air ....)  Ahh, I smell troll.  Here is
>> the troll's agenda.
>>
>>> There is absolutely no reason other than stupidity and some
>>> religious agenda to jeopardize my studies in order to make
>>> a statement by running Linux.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> A religious agenda?  Oooh, pardon me, we are jeopardising the
>> poor troll's GPA by suggesting in this newsgroup he might try
>> Linux.
>>
>>> Linux belongs on servers.
>>> To saddle students with Linux is a travesty.
>>
>> For one, I seriously doubt writer is a student.  If he is a
>> serious one, he doesn't have time to write such drivel.
>>
>> --
>> HPT
>
> course he's a troll, only trolls reduce the argument to religion, just like
> one of those crazy bastards who think they're running the country...

True. That's why I hit "ignore" the other posts belonging to that same theme.
I can recall those "college doesn't support Linux" threads from some
technical newsgroups. These are usually a classical bait which begs for the
answer "find another college". And it's of from the book to trolls...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
Cpu(s):  18.5% user,   2.7% system,   0.7% nice,  78.1% idle