Re: XBox 360 is Sh*t, According to Microsoft

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Saturday 05 August 2006 16:04 \__
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >
> >> http://tinyurl.com/kzsgb (search.microsoft.com)
> >
> > What kind of fool fell for the 360?

I think the biggest suckers were the OEM producers of PCs.
Microsoft tried to show them that Microsoft could make their own PCs,
or equivalent, without having to depend on the OEMs.

The strategy may have backfired, because it has triggered a drive to
adopt technology which is supported by Linux, but not by Windows (64
bit chips, >4 gig RAM, FireGL displays...

> > I mean, how ignorant do you have to be?

> > PS/3 and Wii are going to sell scads -- and that will put Linux into the
> > "media centres" of millions worldwide.

This was another backlash against Microsoft.
Sony has decided to push for Linux instead of caving to Microsoft.
There is the potential for others, such as Panasonic, Magnavox, GE, and
numerous other brands to start selling Linux powered PCs, the same way
they marketed VCRs in the 1970s and 1980s, DVDs in the 1980s and 1990s,
and now they are using embedded Linux for Cable tuners, DVRs, and VOD
units.  Linux opens the PC markets to them if the "Big 5" OEMs continue
to drag their feet and wait for Vista.

Imagine, being able to buy a PC from one of 10 companies, for less than
$400, from K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Target, or Sears, that runs on Linux
instead of Windows.

Linux has already proven it's ability to power a number of appliances
in a way so friendly that users don't know or care that it's Linux.

> > It's all over but the shouting.
>
> What I wonder about are the amounts of (commercial) games that PS3 and Wii
> will shower upon Linux on the desktop.

Keep in mind that Linux can also emulate pretty much every game machine
from the Atari 2600 to the PS/2 already.  Furthermore, FireGL cards and
OpenGL (think SGI) software can create "commercial grade" simulations.
The games can be more complex, and the simulations can be more
realistic.  Instead of playing recorded 3D graphics the way Windows
does, Linux with FireGL cards and XGL can run real-time renderings in
real-time and may even have to "slow down".

> Both Linux-based consoles are rather
> closed, but the core is common.

There are several good rendering engines, which are already used by
game writing companies like Electronic Arts and Atari, that run on
Linux.

> No funny business with DirectX and
> Windows/special-purpose API's.

Just the usual Linux APIs.  And a few extensions.

> Best wishes,
>
> Roy
Rex