Re: How much safer is Ubuntu than windows?

  • Subject: Re: How much safer is Ubuntu than windows?
  • From: T.G.Reaper <Reaper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 12:32:04 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 03:51:59 GMT, AZ Nomad <aznomad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:45:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>6- You can actually get work done without having all security disabled.

I don't have any problem using my system without admin-rights, it only
seems to be Linux advocates that can't seem to accomplish this, wonder
why that is.

>Root is just for setting up the system, not using it.

True, the same basic rule is true in Windows, the fact that many
Windows users disregard it is the root of the problem. If all Windows
users immediately started routinely logging on using an account that
did not have admin rights, virus's and malware would become almost
nonexistent. Companies who provide antivirus software would suddenly
become almost unnecessary. If I were more conspiracy minded, I might
be tempted to suspect a connection there.

>If an application tries
>to overwrite your system, it will be stopped.  If an application tries to
>install unwanted software, it will be stopped.  If an email attachment has
>an executable, it won't run.  If somehow it could run, it wouldn't be able
>to install software or overwrite your system.

All of that works *exactly* the same way in Windows if the user logs
on without admin rights. See...you've demonstrated why a Windows
system is just as secure as a Linux box, if the Windows user logs on
without admin rights.

--
Regards
T.G. Reaper