Re: When Microsoft Windows Ruins the Realtionship With Your ISP

Hadron Quark wrote:
Do you not think that the unparallelled growth of the 'net was
partly because of windows?

"[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3njiq3-kf1.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOL!!! See Roy's comment below!!!

The unparalleled growth of the Net was due to the World Wide Web and
(what was for years) the most popular browser Netscape. All Microsoft
did, was embrace and extend something that they initially didn't even
believe in at all, and turned it into a global security problem.

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
"The Internet? We are not interested in it"

-- Bill Gates, 1993

I think Hadron has a point here. Prior to Windows, computers were not used by the mainstream populace. Sure, without Windows, you'd still have an Internet, but it'd probably would never have attracted as much content. I could see Wikipedia still happening (since the majority of pre-Windows internet users were academic), but not NewGrounds, YouTube, MySpace, Yahoo, LiveJournal, DeviantArt, etc... Even Google's a bit iffy, though maybe some MIT hackers would implement parts of it (e.g. Google Maps) as a toy project.

And FWIW, I think Mosaic contributed more to the WWW explosion than Netscape.

- Oliver