Re: [News] "Operating Systems Need to Disappear"

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 08 August 2006 15:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:08:06 +0100
> <1879343.21lv7ASDVV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 08 August 2006 04:00 \__
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Paul Hovnanian P.E.
>>> <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:29:11 -0700

>>> As long as it's not greasy. :-)  But it is a colossal mess,
>>> and full of magic words and phrases, and lots of little
>>> guys throwing rather nasty things.  I've not seen any huge
>>> green fierce snakes in there yet, but there might as well be.
>>

>> Ballmer is no little guy. And there is nothing nasty about fine furniture.
>
> Fine furniture?  Are we in the same twisty little maze of passages here?
> :-)
>
> Damn, now I'm going to have to find a port... :-)  I'm
> mildly surprised Gentoo doesn't already have one (they
> do have dungeon, but not adventure; zork is a commercial
> offering although it might have gravitated to freeware
> by now).

"Zork" as in "Return to Zork"? Boy, I remember how the graphics in that game
amazed me. I must have been about 13 at the time. If you are looking for
some puzzles and/or quests, why not get a DOS emulator and work from there?
There are also some classics that were ported to Linux. I played Descent the
other day (yesterday?). It came with SuSE 8.1. I happen to see some of my
old favourites every now and then. And not just big names like Quake. I
could truly take Sam and Max for a spin... saw it in some demo site... must
have been a Windows clone like ReactOS... let me check...

http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/screenshots.html

Hmm... it's not there... might have moved or maybe it's the wrong site. I do
see some classics though. Look, ma! Day of the Tentacle!!