Re: [News] "Operating Systems Need to Disappear"

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:41:49 +0100
<3945048.tGF4IMfjEd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 08 August 2006 15:00 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:08:06 +0100
>> <1879343.21lv7ASDVV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 08 August 2006 04:00 \__

>>> Ballmer is no little guy. And there is nothing nasty about fine furniture.
>>
>> Fine furniture?  Are we in the same twisty little maze of passages here?
>> :-)
>>
>> Damn, now I'm going to have to find a port... :-)  I'm
>> mildly surprised Gentoo doesn't already have one (they
>> do have dungeon, but not adventure; zork is a commercial
>> offering although it might have gravitated to freeware
>> by now).
>

> "Zork" as in "Return to Zork"?

Actually, no.  It was the original, a derivative of Dungeon
(which I used to play on occasion on VMS way back when).
I have or had an Amiga variant, all three disks (they
came out with three of them), bought in a moment of $60
foolishness way back when.  It was a pure text-based game.

However, "Return to Zork" does ring a bell, and I believe it eventually
wandered into another series.  I want to say Wishbringer; turns out they
are related:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wishbringer

Of course from what I've seen screenshot wise "The Elder Scrolls IV:
Oblivion" blows them all away... :-)  Unfortunately, there's apparently
no Linux variant.

I'll admit to wondering whether there are any Crystal Space derivatives
still flitting about.

> Boy, I remember how the graphics in that game
> amazed me. I must have been about 13 at the time. If you are looking for
> some puzzles and/or quests, why not get a DOS emulator and work from there?

I have one; I play "Discworld" on it.  Crude graphics, but what does one
expect from VGA? :-)

> There are also some classics that were ported to Linux. I played Descent the
> other day (yesterday?). It came with SuSE 8.1.

I have Descent II, myself.  I've not tried it lately with ALSA, though,
and now Quake 2 is broken soundwise.  Feh!

I'm hoping more follow the lead of Beneath A Steel Sky.  The graphics
are laughable but the idea of offering the game for free is not.

> I happen to see some of my
> old favourites every now and then. And not just big names like Quake. I
> could truly take Sam and Max for a spin... saw it in some demo site... must
> have been a Windows clone like ReactOS... let me check...
>
> http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/screenshots.html
>
> Hmm... it's not there... might have moved or maybe it's the wrong site. I do
> see some classics though. Look, ma! Day of the Tentacle!!

Wow.  Beats me how I could have missed that one. :-)  (Beats me *why*
I'd want to look for it. :-)  Then again, apparently there's one out
there that likes it...

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/reviews/c-d/dtentacleR/dtentacleR.htm

Cute.

)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.