Re: [News] Linux Virtualization Improves, Comes Closer to Kernel

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 09 August 2006 09:03 \__

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9002259

> I have to go with RH there, Xen doesn't seem to be ready.

I read some small fragments of the article and there was a portion there that
did not account for Red Hat's clarification. There was a premature word out
there (disinformation) which said that Xen was nowhere near ready for 'prime
time'. Red Hat came up with the following announcement the following day:

Red Hat's affair with XenSource is back on

,----[ Quote ]
`----

        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/01/redhat_yes_xen/

> But then if it wasn't for major vendors such as Novell willing to take a
> risk on putting large resources into something such as this, where would
> our growth come from?

That's one the nicest (albeit odd) things about Open Source. Two rivals try
to sell the same product and, by improving their own product line, they also
help their rival/s. The ones to benefit...? The customers, of course. And
that's all that counts.

> Everyone could do the same as RH do with their servers, put out a system
> that is a few years behind, but is fully tested, very stable and very safe,
> but no growth of the system involved in this except financially for RH,
> which seems to me to be RH's main goal these days, I wouldn't be at all
> surprised if they wake up one day and realise that they are too far behind
> other distros to catch up at all.

They appear to be the best bar none in servers (RHEL). But Ubuntu is rumoured
to catch up in that area. Popularity on the desktop will persuade system
administrator to take Ubuntu for a spin. It's less expensive, as well.

> You can say good and bad about Novell, but at least they have to be given
> credit for trying to take Linux forward, much more so than RH does. When
> did anyone last see a major inovation or risk taking venture from RH?

[to self:]

* Web 2.0-type portal...

* NoCompiz/ XGL, but I suspect they were the first to experiment with
wobbling menus and what was called Luminocity at the time (I can find the
link for you...)

* No Wiki... like Ubuntu or the OpenSuSE community...

* They sure do advertisements... Truth Happens and all that...

* Magazine...

* Not so sure about sponsorships and conferences...

* Maybe their involvements with governments (e.g. Australia and New Zealand)
count for something... other than greed for sealed deals.

[/end mindless rambling]

> Lets face it though, the first to get virtualisation spot on is going to do
> extreemly well. Because despite it being touted as a means of getting many
> virtual Linux's on a single machine, that has a fairly limited audience,
> testers and hobbyists, but hardly a goal for the majority of potential
> users.
>
> The real goal is a fully operational virtual MS Win. Once you have MS Win
> and Linux seamlessly integrated, you then have a very good platform from
> which to start controlling. 'A programmer can use MS API or Linux Libs, but
> if he users Our API then his software runs the same on both'. But more
> importantly, sell the PC with Linux on it and let the customer decide
> whether to spend another £100 (or however much it costs these days) on an
> MS Win license.

With WGA there are no guarantees, either. There are some false-positive
detections... and installation without the OEM's involvement (or recovery
CD/s) can be hard. It's funny that when I bought my SUSE box I had no
CD's/floppies containing drivers (I think). Linux does not require these.
Click here, click there, then have some lunch while shuffling CD's (1-3/5)
and it's done. Feature complete and plenty of software. But I drift off
topic now.... sorry....