Re: Alexa Rank !!!!

  • Subject: Re: Alexa Rank !!!!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:57:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ tonnie ] on Tuesday 08 August 2006 21:03 \__

> tonnie schreef:
>> BH schreef:
>>> In message <1155052715.698548.69870@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>> seocold <seocold@xxxxxxxxx> writes

Install the Alexa/Amazon/A9 toolbar.

Enable history.

Wait a few days and, assuming you hang around your Web site, behold how poor
a gauge Alexa traffic ranks actually are. Even for top sites, the notion of
page views is not a good indicator of traffic. Not to mention uniqueness of
users, among many other factors that are neglected or poorly accounted for.

Now, let us consider another traffic rank: Netcraft rank. The two treat
subsites different, which is deceiving. Also, the 'www' is perceived and
treated differently, for reason that Netscraft staff explained to me, twice.
Finally, to understand how inaccurate those measure are, consider a top site
like Groklaw. Alexa rank: ~8000th; Netcraft: ~800th.

>>> What is interesting   is that 4colordesign.com is promoting SOE as one
>>> of its services and yet you don't know how  Alexa works!
>>
>> In a Zen modus i would say:
>>
>> "He who dears to ask will prevail" and "Knowing all is to be absolete"
>
> Damn there goes my Zen. It should have been obsolete.

I'll have to memorise that. It's a nice tidbit. *smile*

Dare to ask and survive; or else die from boredom...