Re: [News] Microsoft to Pay 'Fines' for Delays

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 09 August 2006 20:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, NoStop
> <nostop@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 10:43:42 -0700
> <ebd6kt4e2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 02:43 am, Roy Schestowitz had this to say in
>> comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>>
>>> Microsoft to pay for Vista and Office delays
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33555
>>
>> MickeyMouse should be financially rewarded for delaying the release of
>> Fista. The longer Fista stays away from the Net, the better for the
>> computing community. In fact, all these toy operating systems should be
>> banned from Net access.

As radical as it may sound, I agree. I even said it before. There are over 5
million zombies out there, according to Microsoft. Some would even argue
that tens of millions of machine, if not a hundred, have been compromised.
Not all of them are spewing SPAM yet, but they sit in a cracker's hand,
ready to clog up the Net by using all the available bandwidth capacity.

Let the user complain to their software provider. When the O/S is ready to
cope on the Web, then it can be made legal to use again.

> OK, I'll bite.  How? :-)
>
> Best I can do is a backprobe from the ISP.  If the ISP
> detects an open port such as 445 which shouldn't be open
> (the T&C would be *very* clear on this), it would disable
> the line connection, severing the link (this would be
> layer 2 of the OSI).  The user would then have to walk
> with a technical type to clean out his machine -- or the
> ISP could simply mail out a Gentoo Livedisc, with a little
> letter explaining what and why. :-)

That's exactly is what I did on a few occasions. Student gets disconnected
and sobs. Repeated disconnections get the student fined heavily. Student
receives Ubuntu CD.

> Of course a less intrusive solution is to simply block
> the port upstream.

This could prevent viruses from spreading locally, but what about people who
connect to different network, catch an infection and then spew out SPAM
using standard mail protocols? Blacklisting UIP's is the worse one can do
because you hurt some genuine people. Not that SPAM ever averted hurting the
innocent.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
 12:05am  up 20 days 12:20,  7 users,  load average: 1.66, 1.29, 0.77