Re: [News] Google Hosts Ubuntu Linux Conference Next Week

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 10 August 2006 08:43 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The Ubucon Conference
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The Ubucon is a free conference for the Ubuntu user, whether you're an
>> | Ubuntu user, sysadmin, or developer. The Ubucon takes place on August 18
>> | and 19 at Google's Mountain View headquarters.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.linuxpip.org/ubuconwiki/
>
> How nice and handy that is, I'll meet you at the airport Roy. Oh, dang, I
> forgot that I haven't got the £1500 or what ever it is for the air fare.
>
> Why don't they hold these conferences online where their users can get at
> them. The way it is now the only audience they will get are those whos
> hotels and flights are paid for by their company, which means, people just
> wanting to get out of the office for a few days, have a bit of a booze up
> in the local bars and just maybe turn up at the conference, well at least
> for the morning session to get lots of free coffee until the hang over
> wears off a bit.

It seems like a good promotional event for the Google brand name. But Google
engineers use Ubuntu on the desktop, so I guess it's a nice function to
daytime staff, too. Conferences are always a good excuse to travel on a
budget. Sometimes you attend some talks, which takes the guilt away. *smile*