Re: [News] PC-BSD and Fedora Become User-Friendly (Digest)

__/ [ Donn Miller ] on Thursday 10 August 2006 16:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> PC-BSD: The Most Beginner Friendly OS
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | From PC-BSD's roadmap to their default installation, I honestly feel
>> | good about where these guys are headed with their take on FreeBSD.
>> | This operating system has it all: support both from the professional
>> | level as well as that of the community, the ability to install Linux
>> | software, thanks to the binary compatibility layer, and of course -
>> | speed. Understand for most people, the speed factor is more or less a
>> | matter of opinion. But I have found that in some areas, it felt faster
>> | at the core level. Maybe I just had too much coffee that day? Either
>> | way, I totally recommend PC-BSD for anyone wanting to take a step into
>> | the wild side. FreeBSD, it's not just for geeks anymore...
>
> I actually thought FreeBSD had a pretty nice installer.  It was so much
> like Slackware's.  I always found those kind of installers fast and
> easy.  But I can imagine the headaches they must cause for a beginner,
> new to an OS.  And FreeBSD still isn't the best OS for a lot of stuff,
> like many processor SMP.  I'd give that award to Linux.

I read the following about 5 minutes ago:

        http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=80

Sequel of:

        http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=78

The installer was actually bashed. I wasnted to explore the world of BSD, but
the above put me off completely. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
Tasks: 122 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie