Re: [News] HSBC: Windows Flaws Are Not Our Problem (not a real quote)

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1576885.lv0c8tmYDK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
They said exactly what I had been thinking about

HSBC denies internet bank accounts vulnerable

,----[ Quote ]
| The Grauniad claimed the hole was discovered by a bunch of boffins at
| Cardiff University who went public to warn bank customers. The
| vulnerability only exists if PCs have been compromised by keylogging
| software.
|
| But HSBC has said the claims are exaggerated. Keylogging, installed by
| some malware, is required for the scam to work, according to the newspaper.

"Keyloggers" is an OS-agnostic concept, so it isn't a Windows flaw either. In particular, the article you linked to doesn't mention Windows (or any other OS) for that matter either. If a user logs onto their online banking site via their Nintendo DS, but the Opera-carrying catridge they're using is actually a counterfeit with a keylogger installed, they'd be vulnerable too.

- Oliver