Re: First Preview of KDE 4

__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 19 August 2006 16:51 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> KDE 3.80.1
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | KDE 3.80.1 was released on August 18th, 2006.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | The final KDE 4.0 release will contain the full list of KDE modules
>> `----
>>
>> http://kde.org/info/3.80.1.php
>>
>> Mockuo... http://tinyurl.com/jyftj
>
> It's not for end users. http://dot.kde.org/1155935483/
>
> Any idea when the final KDE 4.0 is expected?

Sorry  to  just  the  gun there. From what I  once  read  in
Slashdot  (comments), QT 4 is (was) expected to be ready  in
Q3  or  Q4 of this year. KDE should accompany  that  release
(more  or less). Qt 4 was also said to be better  integrated
with  Windows,  so  KDE  on Windows (OS  X  too?)  might  be
simplified,  as  well  as popular applications  like  AmaroK
ported.  I  don't know how development on Solid, Plasma  and
all  these  other components are coming along.  KDe-look  is
filled   with   KDE   4   mockups,   but   not   many   real
images/screenshots  (as  yet). Just experimental  bits  like
Plasma  animation, which goes back about a year... and let's
not forget GNOME:

http://anniyan.wordpress.com/2006/08/15/edgy-eft-ubuntu-610-gnome-216-features/

When  Leopard and SP3 for XP are production-ready, KDE  4.0+
and  GNOME 2.2+ should be out there in the wild and  develop
further  very frequently. I look forward to it. All of these
planned  changes  will  dumb-down  the  desktop  environment
further    and    make    everything   more    usable    and
fault-tolerant/resistant.