Re: Glad I switched...

Once upon a midnight dreary, while Jim pondered weak and weary over many a
quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:

> Once upon a midnight dreary, while Roy Schestowitz pondered weak and weary
> over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:
>
>> __/ [ Jim ] on Saturday 19 August 2006 13:38 \__
>>
>>> Had a look at Vista Beta 2 today.
>>> Never again.
>>> Three words: Kludgy. Ugly. Slow.
>>> I ran away screaming.
>>> Now I have to go clean my eyeballs with a wire brush.
>>> bbl.
>>
>> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have always found Windows XP
>> rather ugly and childish. Aero is an attempt to imitate Aqua and Brushed
>> without being criticised for imitation. But VIsta remains the ugliest
>> (and greediest) O/S... and it's not even out yet. It's more of a
>> conceptual thing.
>
> thing of it is, it took 78 seconds from end of POST to desktop. About
> average for a PIII/1.0 with 128MB running bare XP, but this is on an
> Athlon 2500+ with half a Gig of RAM. Ten minutes later, it was still
> chewing RAM, and that was just sitting there showing the task manager.
> Brief timeline below:
>
> POST                    18 seconds
> bootstrap-desktop       78 seconds
>         RAM charge at this point: 282MB swap charge: 465MB
> ten minutes later:
>         RAM charge: 460MB swap charge: 680MB
>
> At this point it got too painful to watch. I shut the system down.
> Upon removing the case panel, I hit the processor heatsink with a laser
> thermometer. 67C. This same system, under XPSP2, topped out at 54C under
> max load.
> Vista: because you want toast with your PC. Trust us.

Addendum: no sound, no 3D graphics, no network, no bluetooth, no SATA-RAID,
no zip drive. Pretty fuckin' useless all round, really.
--
http://dotware.co.uk
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change