Re: Looking for an app

  • Subject: Re: Looking for an app
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:20:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Saturday 19 August 2006 07:53 \__

> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:09:41 -0700, George Ellison (undercover) wrote:
>

>> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>>> Anyone happen to know if there's an app like tail, but where you can pass
>>> in a search string and have it highlighted when it shows up?  Something
>>> like:
>>>
>>>    tail -f /var/log/mail.log myaddress
>>
>> tail -f /var/log/mail.log |grep myaddress maybe?
>
> Right direction, but I was really looking for something that'd highlight
> the matches.

How do you want it highlighted? Which shell is this? Can it have multiple
highlights? You couldn't associate highlight with output that's piped unless
the highlight is symbolic (markup). How about opening the output in an
editor and then use a highlighter?

tail -f /var/log/mail.log |grep >file && <YOUR_FAVOURITE_EDITOR> file

I suppose you can output the text and pass it on to a Web browser with an
extension (e.g. toolbar) that supports highlighting. Most search toolbars
support this capability.