Re: Microsoft Headed for Major Antitrust?

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 19 August 2006 07:29 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Where Should Vendors Stick Their Services?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Wondering if you noticed the news over at Microsoft Watch this week
>> | that Microsoft has done what many considered inevitable: Started
>> | using Windows as a way to hawk Windows Live Services?
>> |
>> | It's not too surprising to me that Microsoft is splashing all over
>> | its Welcome to Vista screen (at least in one of the latest Vista test
>> | builds, No. 5506) promotional links, inviting users to download WindowsL
>> | ive Messenger, Windows Live OneCare, Windows Live Mail Desktop, and
>> | more. But I was surprised the Redmondians would be so bold as to
>> | actually embed Windows Live Messenger into Vista. After all the
>> | antitrust lawsuits Microsoft has been slapped with here, there and
>> | everywhere ? many of which have focused on its "innovative integration"
>> | (a k a, bundling) strategies, you'd think they'd be a little more
>> | cautious.
>> |
>> | With the actual Windows Live Messenger code (not just a download link)
>> | being integrated right into Vista, I think Microsoft might be really
>> | going out on a limb. When backed into a corner before about itsi
>> | ntegration strategy, Microsoft's defense was that removing any of
>> | the integrated components (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player,
>> | etc.) would break the OS. But if Vista test builds have been working
>> | just fine (well, middling, maybe, based on some not-so-happy tester
>> | comments) without Windows Live Messenger, how can Microsoft make a
>> | case for it being part of Windows?
>> `----
>
> Well, in the first place, they don't need to make a case until someone
> takes them to court, and they get to collect the revenues all the while
> they're doing that (and the appeals go on and on and on...).  And then,
> the fines won't amount to much---maybe the EU fines are starting to
> hurt, but usually they settle out of court or pay their "fines" with
> software vouchers redeemable only from MS.  In the rare case that it
> comes down to real money, for them it's just a small cost of doing
> business.
>
> For the history, see:
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=2005010107100653

In the interim (hearings), it's not just the cash-in. It's more about the
lock-in. Services tend to have this relationship, which is probably tigheter
than the native (application) counterpart. I won't be expecting Microsoft to
have exporters that adhere to standards, if anything at all. Get them while
they're young and shackle them... that's the motto.

To repeat old links:

Microsoft to Give Florida Schools $80M

,----[ Quote ]
| Half the money must be used for software and the other half for hardware
| and other services including curriculum development, training and
| supplemental services for school administrators.
`----

"Half the money MUST be used for software", i.e. forget about OSS and
Linux.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060817/fl_microsoft_settlement.html?.v=1

Also see:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/4/23/3719

  ( Welcome to college, here's your Windows Live account )

Lastly:

----[ Quote ]
`----

        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/5223192.stm