Re: [News] 'Universal' Wi-Fi Exploit Pure BS?

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3923210.F64kZYZiAa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ Donn Miller ] on Friday 18 August 2006 19:13 \__

A long-standing misconception is that Microsoft uses BSD code. In reality, it is LSD, not BSD, code that MS has been using.

That's just what one gets when stealing BSD code (e.g. TCP/IP stack) and letting programmers extend it when they are high.

AFAIK, Microsoft hasn't actually stolen BSD code.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-newbies/2003-September/000808.html

<quote>
Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
[...]
No, it's not true.  For a while we thought it was, but we proved to be
incorrect.  Microsoft's network stack was written by a Scottish
company called Spider.
</quote>
(Greg Lehey is one of the developers of FreeBSD)

http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/6/19/05641/7357
<quote>
I worked at Microsoft for ten years, most of it on the core Windows NT/2000 (hereafter referred to as NT) networking code.
[...]
Along with Spider's stack came versions of various TCP/IP-related utility programs, such as ftp, rcp and rsh. Those were ported from BSD sockets to winsock (not a huge change) and bundled with NT.
[...]
And the software was licensed perfectly legally, since the inclusion of the copyright notice satisfied the BSD license.
</quote>

- Oliver