Re: The Indiana Desktop

  • Subject: Re: The Indiana Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:26:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 17 August 2006 17:00 \__

> On Thursday 17 August 2006 16:34 ray wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:23:09 +0100, B Gruff wrote:
>>
>>> I've been following the story for about a year, though it's been very
>>> quietly done, and there's not been much news.
>>> In brief, Indiana is spending about $250 total per station, using Linux
>>> and
>>> special desks.  About 24,000 units have been installed to date, expected
>>> to increase by a further 170,000 this next year.
>>>
>>> This post is prompted by somebody here (Mark?) who asked why the laptop
>>> of the "One laptop per child" was not being considered in the U.S. and
>>> Europe. To me, given that the U.S. and Europe generally has good
>>> classroom environment, electricity etc., this (at $250 c.f. $150?) looks
>>> a better bet.
>>>
>>> I finally found a picture of the rather nice Indiana version of the
>>> "Glass desktops":-)
>>>
>>> http://www.doe.state.in.us/INaccess/

Interesting. I never imagined it would be arranged in this way and it looks
like it could be a kiosk setup. Knowing the price of my modern workstation,
I know that GBP120 per workstation is possible, even for orders of single
units (rather than a batch, let alone tens of thousands). Issues that crop
to mind are the price of electricity and dependability (one failure kills
all).

>> Interesting pictures - but I'm not convinced of the ergonomics. Several
>> years ago a fellow I knew at work was lobbying for a similar setup - I
>> pointed out that the research indicates that it's best for the top of the
>> screen to be roughly in line with the eyes - he didn't buy that. I found
>> out a few years later that his problem was that he had bifocals and his
>> 'computer lens' was the bottom half, so of course, he had to crank his
>> head back. When I required bifocals, I got the top half set to computer
>> distance and bottom for reading distance - has worked fine for me.

I guess it's confortable if you lean over. The computers are intended to be
used much like books, for educational purposes. Yet another advantage to
using Linux in the classroom: gaming is a trickier business, so there is no
temptation.

> Oh indeed, - but your observations and the Indiana decision have nothing at
> all to do with Linux in this respect, of course.
> Indiana would appear to be one of the first(?) to introduce a computer on
> every desk for subjects other than computer-related ones.
  ^^^^^^^^^^

I can't help but think of rifle analogies. "This is my rifle. There are
millions just like it, but this is mine..."

http://www.redhat.com/f/rm/choice_small.rm

See the part where there are multiple screens. I am not suggesting that there
is something militant about 'computer-for-every-child', but the slogan just
doesn't rhyme well with me...

> Their prime
> concerns were that:-
> - a student should able to see and be seen

I never thought about it. I guess it resembles gazing at a laptop in a
classroom/boardroom. Try having a conference or a panel meeting, for
example, without a projector...

> - the desk should be able to be used "normally"
> - the solution should be affordable!
> In addition, I assume that they would not want kit being knocked/pulled
> onto the floor, trailing leads, etc.

There's also the ability to prevent physical access to the 'core'. For
example, you might argue that no student should ever have a reason to insert
a CD-ROM.

> One interesting point on the Indiana decision to "go Linux" - they did
> still get the "hard sell", the usual price-cutting offers etc. from
> purveyors of
> proprietary solutions.  IIRC, they stuck to their guns, and insisted that
> the prices should be compared over the lifetime of the equipment, and not
> simply on the initial cost. The impression that I got was that the offers
> they had were along the lines of "free calls - for the first 6 months!"
> that telephone companies use.
> Also IIRC, they are working on a principle of a "5-year lifetime" for
> equipment, and hence their intention to install a further 170,000 over the
> next 12 months.  That rate (given about a million kids) is an ongoing
> requirement.

That's rather informative. Thanks.

There is always temptation to woo those who capitalise on hidden costs,
namely services and addons (e.g. additional proprietary software,
maintenance for viruses, upgrades and so forth). Linux should barely be
forced a downtime, let alone require maintenance.

Best wishes,

Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
Swap:  1036184k total,   443856k used,   592328k free,   121632k cached