Re: Stop with the [News] postings already!!!

  • Subject: Re: Stop with the [News] postings already!!!
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:45:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Thursday 17 August 2006 17:03 \__
>
>> Au79 <au79@xxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I think that Roy's posts are appreciated by most users. I enjoy reading
>>> them and feel that this is what advocacy is all about: information.
>>>
>>> You may think that advocacy is simply a shouting match between wintrolls,
>>> but the way to win mind and hearts is still information.
>>
>> Which can be posted as a *single* article. No one says his posts dont
>> have *some* interest, but the volume of posts is nothing more than spam.
>
> How will you manage a hierarchy of threads? Hypothetical example:
>
> Post X contains 20 news items. 5 are about Microsoft/Apple deficiencies, 5
> are about open source, and 10 are related to Linux. If a person /x/ replies
> to some bit about Apple and /y/ replies to some Linux item, how would the
> reader find the path to the subject that interests him/her? The separation
> facilitates structure. That's why all digests pertain to the same topic.
> Those un/interested can ignore because it relates to the same theme.
>
> I'm sorry to cause you inconvenience, but why don't you make all News-tagged
> items invisible? Besides, I still believe that without on-topic discussion,
> Winvocates-Linvocates head-butting is all that's left. Au79 contributes a
> lot of on-topic material. In the past (before I started posting more
> frequently), threads initiated by him were the most informative. The
> remainder was cyclic and noisy (sometimes vulgar too).

Please ignore this, Roy, and continue as you have done.  A number of
discussions have spun out of the news postings, and I do save several of
them myself.  Anyone doing a drive-by sniff of the group will get what
they're looking for, which is information about linux advocacy, and the
p*ssing contests which used to characterise this group entirely have
been pushed into the background by what you're doing.  Please don't
stop.

TONY RANDALL!  Is YOUR life a PATIO of FUN??