Re: Linux Bashing Based on Self Interest, Propaganda, Old Linux Experience, or Lack of Experience

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 17 August 2006 12:53 \__

>>     If you didn't try GNU/Linux *TODAY*?! Does Linux really evolve that
>> rapidly? If I tried installing Debian and got a driver problem that I
>> could resolve in 24 hours, is it better to delete and download a more
>> recent copy of the ISO than to spend any further time on it, as they've
>> probably fixed the problem by now?
>>
>>     Sounds like quite an exageration to me...
>
> It *is* an exaggeration if taken literally, but the very valid point
> being made here is that in evaluating Linux, especially these days, you
> need to look not only at where it is, but also its rate of improvement,
> which has been phenomenal in the last two years.  And I must say, all
> the signs are that the momentum is building rapidly.

Analogies are fun.

Linux is a stallion that matures and gets stronger by the day.

Windows is an old mare. You can give it some hormones and have it
/temporarily/ stimulated (at the expense of its short life that remains
ahead). But it's still an old animal*. So it will die. You can hope it will
breed instead and then, maybe after a decade, you will have something
suitable to replace it. But it will be too late as Linux has become a racing
horse in the mean time.

*In hindsight, I should have used pigs and some lipstick in this quick
analogy.