Re: [News] Linux Bashing Based on Self Interest, Propaganda, Old Linux Experience, or Lack of Experience

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 23:18 \__
>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Are you qualified to bash GNU/Linux?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>        http://www.nuxified.org/are_you_qualified_to_bash_gnu_linux
>>
>> <quote>
>> I do suggest not to go spread false conclusions you based on an outdated
>> experience you may have had with it. If you didn't try GNU/Linux today or
>> very recently, you pretty much don't have a lot to say about its present
>> state. If you do want to talk about it then make it clear you are talking
>> about GNU/Linux *then*, not today. This way you are acknowledging the
>> source of your conclusions and the fact that they don't apply to the
>> present state. </quote>
>>
>>     If you didn't try GNU/Linux *TODAY*?! Does Linux really evolve that
>> rapidly? If I tried installing Debian and got a driver problem that I could
>> resolve in 24 hours, is it better to delete and download a more recent copy
>> of the ISO than to spend any further time on it, as they've probably fixed
>> the problem by now?
>>
>>     Sounds like quite an exageration to me...
>

> I am surprised that you make this argument. Think of it as a figure of
> speech. You seem like an intelligent man, so my only explanation to this
> would be that you are critical of the author from the get-go.

Except that if you are using Debian GNU/Linux, the latest version would
be "unstable", so if you want to check the latest state of play, that's
the version you'd be using.  It changes more than every day, it can
change many times in every day.

If you want the /stable/ version, then you should ensure that you've got
all the latest security updates, which can also arrive on a regular
basis, although clearly they would only affect the packages you have
installed.

This is not overstated in any way.

However, in the rather puerile example given by Mr Wong above, it's a
trivial matter to look on the debian bugs listings and check versions to
/see/ what has changed - you're not dealing blindly with binaries, as
you have to with Windows, here you're dealing with linux where you can
actively check.

Further, if you were using debian, aptitude would show you what's
changed anyway, just by running an update.  Rather as the original
commentator mentioned, if you don't know all of this (and Mr Wong
clearly doesn't), then he's not really qualified to discuss the merits
of Debian, in my view.

TONY RANDALL!  Is YOUR life a PATIO of FUN??