Re: [News] Linux Bashing Based on Self Interest, Propaganda, Old Linux Experience, or Lack of Experience

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 16 August 2006 23:18 \__

>> Are you qualified to bash GNU/Linux?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The usual sources of this (mis)information are things other people said
>> | about GNU/Linux (i.e. heresay), Microsoft propaganda or a personal
>> | experience. Well the last one can be valid, but not in the context
>> | I am talking about, not when this personal experience is based on
>> | ignorance or is just too old to be a valid measure to draw conclusions
>> | from.
>> `----
>>
>>        http://www.nuxified.org/are_you_qualified_to_bash_gnu_linux
>
> <quote>
> I do suggest not to go spread false conclusions you based on an outdated
> experience you may have had with it. If you didn't try GNU/Linux today or
> very recently, you pretty much don't have a lot to say about its present
> state. If you do want to talk about it then make it clear you are talking
> about GNU/Linux *then*, not today. This way you are acknowledging the
> source of your conclusions and the fact that they don't apply to the
> present state. </quote>
>
>     If you didn't try GNU/Linux *TODAY*?! Does Linux really evolve that
> rapidly? If I tried installing Debian and got a driver problem that I could
> resolve in 24 hours, is it better to delete and download a more recent copy
> of the ISO than to spend any further time on it, as they've probably fixed
> the problem by now?
>
>     Sounds like quite an exageration to me...

I am surprised that you make this argument. Think of it as a figure of
speech. You seem like an intelligent man, so my only explanation to this
would be that you are critical of the author from the get-go.

>     Sure, contributions might be made to CVS everyday, but if you've hit a
> snag in Linux, what are the chances that the contributions made
> specifically address your problem? I think it's much more reasonable to
> just try once every release. That is, if you tried Ubuntu's Dappy D., and
> it didn't work out, wait for Edgy E..

This, in fact, is where Linux has a /strength/. You have a serious fallacy
there. A Linux user (let us say yourself) actually gains communication
channels with the developers. Not only can you offer a patch, but you can
also request one by filing a bug report. Somebody, one someone else's
payroll, will take care of the issue for you.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
Cpu(s):  18.6% user,   2.6% system,   0.8% nice,  78.0% idle