Re: Microsoft: Build Your Own Xbox Game

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 15 August 2006 10:53 \__

> For only $99/year, you too can devel^H^H^H^H^H innovate for Microsoft.
>
> Quote:
> ---------------
> Microsoft plans to open up its Xbox 360 game development platform to
> the masses with the launch of XNA Game Studio Express, due out during
> the holiday season. The Redmond company says such an offering would
> benefit the entire gaming industry by nurturing the ideas of new
> development talent and providing beneficial experience in game
> creation.
>
> Anyone with a Windows XP computer would be able to use the software,
> available for an annual $99 fee. This fee would permit users to build,
> test and share their games on Xbox 360 consoles, as well as gain access
> to development resources.
> ----------------
> End quote

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Build_Your_Own_Xbox_Game/1155574326/

How skepticism-inspiring. Microsoft made another announcement today.

Microsoft warns game developers of security risk

,----[ Quote ]
| Using malware or software designed to infiltrate a computer system,
| hackers steal account information for users of MMO games and then sell
| off virtual gold, weapons and other items for real money.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060814:MTFH51554_2006-08-14_23-45-08_N14313943&type=comktNews&rpc=44

If I recall correctly, another source said that Microsoft issued this warning
(XBox announcement begin to resurface yesterday afternoon). So will an
annual subscription to OneCare (under Windows Live) be needed as well?
That's another $49/year, for devel^H^H^H^H^H, as well as all those who buy
games. Be apathetic and someone will steal your favourite sword, hijack your
identity, or steal your (virtual) money.

> Here is one person's reply:
> Quote:
> ------------
> Pay $99 for a cool video game programming toolkit. Good idea if
> you're so inclined.
>
> Develop your great ideas for video games and possibly launch a
> lucrative career as a video game programmer. Good idea if you're so
> inclined....
>
> Share said designs & hard work on a Microsoft sponsored web site, which
> they no doubt will be perusing so they can "innovate". A company
> known for stealing ideas & crushing competitors with anti-competitive
> tactics. An EXTREMELY dumb idea...
>
> Just say NO, to Microsoft.
> ----------------
> End quote

Microsoft could use the money. How much are they losing on the XBox 360? Is
it past 5 billion US dollar yet?

> http://imguessingblog.blogspot.com/
>
> Someone else's reply:
> "Are we allowed links to sites that post inpartial news, or does
> Betanews only allow Pro-Microsoft news?"

Reminds me of Sainsbury's. You need to ask for permission to link to them. As
though they don't want any PageRank or search engine status in general. I
guess they just fear becoming a 'miserable failure'...

Making inbound links illegal is ridiculous. On par with Google forbidding the
(mis-)use of Google as a verb in an informal fashion. They have begun some
lawsuit. DO know evil? (sic)

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, OpenSuSE
Cpu(s):  18.5% user,   2.6% system,   0.8% nice,  78.0% idle