Re: Another Reason Why Proprietary Software is a Bad Idea

__/ [ Sandman ] on Monday 14 August 2006 07:36 \__

> In article <3079798.imRBCicGHF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I was going to leave a thank-you message for my Web host, having requested
>> something yesterday. Logged in to:
>>
>> http:// support.catalyst2 .com/
>>
>> Whoops! What is it that appears on the page?
>>
>> "License Error: Key file has expired"
>>
>> Not good. Not professional.
>>
>> Screenshot:
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/web-host-support.jpg
>
> What does this have to do with proprietary software?

Like that robotic arm which immobilised parked cars for days; or like
patients' data which Dr. Notes locked.... the vendor takes control over the
software that it sold. The software is still the possession of the seller.

To clarify, some of the queries posted through the Web interface above (see
OP) are urgent (some are even tagged 'emergencies'). The gateway to
communication is blocked and the host is held hostage by some software
house, which may or may not respond on a Sunday.