Re: [News] Use of Open Source Software Expands in British Education

  • Subject: Re: [News] Use of Open Source Software Expands in British Education
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:35:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 09:40 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> OSS Watch Survey 2006
>>>
>>> ,----[ Conclusion ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                         http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/studies/survey2006/
>>
>> It would be good if we were to get some graduates who actually know what
>> linux is.  Having recently interviewed a comp sci graduate who only
>> knew windows, it's clear that things need to move along a little further
>> than they have so far.
>
> In a ManLUG presentation last year, the speaker said he had interviewed a guy
> who never saw /a/ command-line in his lifetime. I believe this was a
> candidate for a programming role.
>
> The speaker also used it as an example which is an early eye opener. You said
> something along these lines yourself (I estimate it was about 6 months ago).
> "So which operating systems do you know?"; "Can you give me example of some
> standard image formats?". Actually, I tripped up on a similar flavour of
> questions a couple of days ago. The guy who interviewed me could sense that
> I didn't know many types of signals that you can pass a process in
> POSIX-type platforms. It was quite embarrassing when someone you talk to
> picks up on a weakness and begins exploring it. But that's what interviews
> and powwows are for...

Indeed it is... not knowing something is not necessarily a problem,
however, unless that information is regarded as so fundamental that the
period to learn what's required would be more than could be reasonably
accepted by the employer.  Still, I quick glance at the man-pages will
get you up to speed!

Ernest asks Frank how long he has been working for the company.
	"Ever since they threatened to fire me."