Re: Intel liberates driver source code, AMD might too

  • Subject: Re: Intel liberates driver source code, AMD might too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:08:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 09:50 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Au79 <au79@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Ars Technica - Boston,MA,USA
>>
>> ... Competitors ATI (recently acquired by AMD) and NVIDIA do not release
>> the source code of their Linux drivers.
>>
>><http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060811-7482.html>
>
> Whichever chipset can support the OpenGL capabilities I need, and has an
> open driver, will be what I will buy.
>
> I've positively zero intention of being left with hi-tech doorstops just
> because a manufacturer decides I can't use the /hardware/ I bought one
> day.  This is, incidentally, a near-exact analogy for the original
> printer-driver problem which began the gestation of the GNU project.

AMD's  attitude  of the equivalent of a chef who refuses  to
tell  you  the ingredients. You will never truly  know  what
s/he  feeds you. Many would find that acceptable, but others
would  be more skeptical. We did, after all, hear about some
cancer-inducing  materials in curry quite recently. It might
make the foods look better, endure for longer, or even taste
better.  This serves the seller and producer quite well,  at
the expense of your health. The software equivalent might be
means  of  spying,  only  with  severe  consequences   (e.g.
identity theft).

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
Tasks: 128 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie