Re: Microsoft Needs to Catch Up

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 09:31 \__

> Google has definitely taken centre stage in the public mind in terms of
> technological innovation.  Microsoft seems tired and old fashioned by
> comparison.  Of course, Microsoft never really had any  "innovation",
> just a massive public relations and advetising machine.  Google has
> done it without all that (with real innovation that is).

When I read Mark's post I was actually thinking along the lines of character,
rather than innovation aspects. I still refuse to believe that Google
innovates much. Many of their products are acquisitions. Additionally, they
have many people with background in research (their requirements are often a
Masters degree at the least) for R&D roles. Moreover, what one could argue
is that Google tries very hard to stay on the cutting edge of (Web-based)
technology. And it pays off.

But, all in all, it's a lot about /image/. Do know evil? (sic)

lastly, there is Brin's and Page's adaptation and adoption of the idea of
citation counts for prioritisation in crawling and ranking. Everybody else
imitates it, but let's face it: it's so trivial that it could never be
patented (without someone in the audience coughing out loud).