Re: Intel kernel sources available once again

  • Subject: Re: Intel kernel sources available once again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:25:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 13 August 2006 11:00 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Tuesday 08 August 2006 03:58 \__

>>> Excellent! that's good to know, thanks.
>>
>> Maybe they felt the pinch of Linux? Closing of the kernel cost them a few
>> people and even resulted in some Ubuntu defections that influenced
>> people's minds (readers). Of course, there were other factors too:
>> proprietary software (lockins), DRM, etc. Some thought that closing of the
>> kernel was an indication of an ongoing new trend..
>>

> I suspect that it's much too little and much too late.  As they've
> pulled out once, why not again, say, next year?

Let them just open it, wait a few months and then behold some shocking
videos... (warning: do not follow link if you cannot stand the sight of OS X
used on professional hardware, rather than white and beige toys)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7540321621291755467

So they can either accept it and face reality, or close the kernel again,
declare a freeze on further development of forks (people could probably make
Leopard available for your AMD). With Intel processors, Mac OS X piracy is
here to stay and most probably extend. So Apple will probably call some
legal bodies to start a new reign of terror.

The only thing to prevent this is probably the advancement of Linux with
stunning technologies like Compiz/XGL. After all, people liked OS X for its
eye candy. At the time (when the kernel was open), XGL was not yet ready.
The wobbling menus were an experimental feature in Red Hat's lab while
Novell extended some things further. But it's still in testing... almost
ready for prime time on a production- or server-type environment. I'm not
sure if you have already seen it demonstrated on dual-head:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3085800747013767131&hl=en

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Cpu(s):  18.5% user,   2.6% system,   0.8% nice,  78.1% idle