Re: It's the Big One Elizabeth! (And the One Big!)

__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 12 August 2006 13:30 \__

http://www.desktoppipeline.com/191600891;jsessionid=DOVISMGPJ5U4KQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN

>>>     Ballmer Analyzes Microsoft's 'One Big' Vista Mistake
>>>
>>>     CEO says the company bit off more than it could chew.
>>>
>>> They'll be cleaning up that code for a long time to come.  Maybe some
>>> good will come of it.  Maybe they won't have some much time on their
>>> hands to churn up the code for no good reason.
>>

>> Ballmer  also  said  that Windows "needed a reboot".  Not  a
>> reboot   of  a  Windows  installation....  but  the   actual
>> _development_ of Windows. This must be why Microsoft started
>> from scratch around September 2005. A shame really. 6 months
>> in development results in a release of a new O/S, as opposed
>> to  some  Service Pack (at most). Even the time gap  between
>> Tiger  and  Leopard is far more considerable. There  was  no
>> need to reboot. To make matters worse, Microsoft is _yet_ to
>> rework  the code of Vista, the majority of which requires  a
>> redesign,  according to the honourable Jim Allchin.  Whether
>> they  will fall back to the source code of Windows  2000....
>> we  are  yet to find out. Starting from the Vista  codebase,
>> with  its  immense  bloat (and thus  hardware  requirements)
>> would be a terrible, irreversible mistake.
>
> Uh, Roy, why do you think Microsoft has a Linux lab?

They (Port 25) interviewed the creator of Mono yesterday. It was shocking, so
I didn't bother to take a look (a forbidden URL). And they actually have
some Tux dolls in this lab. The founder/father of Gentoo didn't last there
for more than about 5 months. He just left. Still, that's long than Kennedy
who left last week (he joined the Live team in April, IIRC). It stinks
really bad. Even the head of that Open Source lab (Bill Hilf) is ridiculing
Linux. Maybe these Tux dolls are actually used as voodoo dolls. Not
surprising given that Hilf accumulated newspaper headline about Linux. He
probably collects them in a box like some psychopath...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
Tasks: 125 total,   1 running, 122 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie