Re: Vista default Startup and Shutdown sounds finalised

On 2006-08-11, Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>> On 2006-08-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>> something concerning:
>>> __/ [ Jim ] on Friday 11 August 2006 13:33 \__

>>> I had 3 hard-drive on my old Compaq laptop. The first was a Toshiba (?)
>>> that survived just 1 year. The second was a brand-new IBM that died after
>>> 2-3 years. I assume that Hitachi manufactured these for IBM at the time.
>>> The only one that lasted to this date (now pretty much retired, drawer
>>> material) is an Apple hardware. I found it hard to squeeze it into the
>>> laptop's chassis. Apple don't give a s**t about standard size.
>>>
>>> Anyway, Hitachi didn't impress me. I had another knackered Maxtor last
>>> September. People told me that Seagate is a good brand to go for, so my
>>> external is a Seagate. So far, so good.
>>
>> I've had nothing but good products with Seagate. I've heard of others
>> having problems, but I never have. And I've used a whole lot of
>> Seagates since I first connected one to an Amiga. Most of the ones I've
>> had were ultimately retired while still working. Only one ever got
>> tossed after failure, and that was caused by dropping it.
>>
>> I've also had a lot of success with Maxtor. Not quite as good as
>> Seagate, but close.
>>
>> The worst I ever used, bar none, is Western Digital. I won't have
>> another one. More than 50% have failed rather quickly. Of the ones that
>> worked, not a single one was better than barely acceptable, and none
>> had a very long life.
>>

> I still have a Seagate Medalist 4GB drive I purchased back in 1996. Still
> runs (it's the system and swap partitions on my webserver!) and still as
> whisper-quiet as the day I bought it. Through the entire ten years, it's
> probably had an aggregate 3 days downtime. Zero bad sectors.

When I put the server in the basement together I found an old 2G
Seagate I thought I threw out long ago. That's sitting as swap and
storage for some files I added that didn't come with ClarkConnect. It's
still cranking along. And cranking, and cranking, and cranking....

I have a 4G SCSI Seagate downstairs, too. But not in a machine. I
haven't used it in over a year. It used to be a swap drive in another
box. It's slated to become that again someday.

--
A fool and his money are soon using Windows.