Re: [News] Steven Vaughan-Nichols Explains Why GPL Just Works!

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:47:03 GMT, Oliver Wong wrote:

 >> | For example, no, the GPL is not "viral." I don't care what Microsoft or
 >> | SCO tells you. It's not. Simply using GPL software as part of a larger
 >> | program package doesn't force developers into putting their independent
 >> | work under the GPL.
 >
 > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
 ><quote>
 > If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean that
 > any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
 >
 > Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.
 ></quote>
 >
 >     In the case of a contradiction, I'd probably put more weight on what GNU
 > has to say about the GPL than what Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols has to say
 > about it.

There's no contradiction. The original article was pointing out that
"mere aggregation" (as opposed to linking in a library) does not
invoke GPL requirements on the non-GPL parts of the aggregation.
Vaughan-Nichols didn't express this well ("using GPL software as part of
a larger program package") but I'm sure that's what he meant.