Re: [News] Electronic Arts: One in Two or Three XBox 360's is Broken

__/ [ Jim ] on Wednesday 30 August 2006 13:08 \__

> Once upon a midnight dreary, while Roy Schestowitz pondered weak and weary
> over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:
>
>> Gamers Say Microsoft Understates Xbox Problems
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | An insider from Electronic Arts, Inc. is saying that the failure rate
>> | of Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console is actually ten times higher than
>> | what Microsoft spokespeople have admitted.
>> |
>> | Game Daily BIZ, a gaming industry publication, reported that the
>> | anonymous source tallied that of the 300 consoles EA has received,
>> | 30-50 percent of them have failed.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/xbox_gamers02.html
>>
>> This reminds me of Microsoft releasing stats from its security
>> application, stating that only one in 50 computers has malware (I saw that
>> last week, I swear).
>>
>> *rolls eyes*
>
> frickin' OUCH!
>
> I wonder what the 12mf (12 month failure) stats on
> NES/SNES/Genesis/Megadrive were?
>
> Probably nowhere near as high.

Perhaps losses on the XBox 360 will by far exceed 4-5 billion dollars
(manufacturing costs are higher than the sale price, however correct this
may be). I think that the XBox division was recently merged with another
(entertainment/media?) in oder to hide the scale of the losses. I can't
remember for sure, but it's in the archives.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - I'll probably have little chance to reply to messages these days (no,
it's not a new habit of mine). Deadlines are upon me, so I at least ensure
that [News] delivery carries on as usual. *frown*