Re: [News] Latest iTunes DRM Backward Engineered

Once upon a midnight dreary, while Nigel Feltham pondered weak and weary
over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...:

> Jim wrote:
>
>> Didn't half get some weird looks from the staff tho, and the odd "Why
>> don't you just buy a CD player?" to which my reply was "I have one. It
>> plays DVDs as well. And gets me on the net. And lets me make phone calls,
>> send text messages, play games, even, horror of horrors, type documents
>> and process images. Oh yeah, and it allows me to earn money, too. Why,
>> what does your CD player do besides play CDs?"
>
> Didn't you try asking why the Audio-CD racks include discs that are Data
> CD's instead of audio ones (even philips stopped the music companies using
> the CD-Audio logo on this DRM corrupted junk) and are incompatible with
> some DVD players and computers without displaying customer warnings?

oh, that was quite a few visits ago. I just love to rib the fsck out of the
poor bastards in that store. That time I just got blank stares and "eh?"
when I pointed out that DRM'd media that pretends to be audio but won't
play in my audio gear isn't, in fact, audio, hence them advertising it as
audio (even stacking it on a shelf with other audio media is advertising)
is actually illegal under at least three pieces of legislation. Off the top
of my head; the sale of goods act 1979, the sale of goods and services act
1982 and the consumer protection act 1987. Under all of which, I would in
fact be well within my rights to sue for compensation over and above the
cost of the media.
--
http://dotware.co.uk
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change