Re: Microsoft Cannot Protect Windows, So It 'Educates' People

begin  oe_protect.scr
Peter Hayes <not_in_use@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:46:50 +0100, Mark Kent wrote
> (in article <akjas3-491.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>):
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 23 August 2006 12:14 \__

>>> Rather than educate the public, Microsoft confuses people. It makes them
>>> narrow minded by controlling their exposure to altenatives (OEM's, media,
>>> schools and so on). How many Linux newbie do you know who ask about malware
>>> and anti-virus software, or the absence of scandisk.exe and defrag.exe?
>>> Earlier today I got the following message by E-mail (just a snippet):
>>>
>>> "Too many things are not there. I want my Desktop and My
>>> Documents and My Pictures and my Music. I have it all saved
>>> on my external drive. I see no Start, Search, Control Panel,
>>> Add/Delete Programs."
>>>
>>> So he's new to the world of Linux and he thinks that computing=Windows. The
>>> terminology is very narrow to him and he cannot grasp the fact that Linux is
>>> not Windows. Linux is done better--or conversely--Windows is a poor
>>> UNIX/Linux implementation.
>>
>> Personally, I find the nursery language of "my pictures" and "my
>> documents" to be, well, utterly childish.  Who is "my" anyway?  If /I/
>> wanted to call something mine, /I/ would do it, so clearly, they must be
>> someone else's, someone who's too childish to write "mark's pictures".
>>
>> I also suspect that this is influenced by the single-user approach of
>> Windows.  You can only use "I" if you're the only user...
>
> Isn't it an Americanism?

Well, perhaps as a marketing device, but most yanks I know are no more
or less childish than britons I know.

If you notice that a person is deceiving you, they must not be
deceiving you very well.