Linux with 16% - Re: Sunday Linux Advocacy... from Jessica Willis

  • Subject: Linux with 16% - Re: Sunday Linux Advocacy... from Jessica Willis
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 27 Aug 2006 21:18:34 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I just noted this interesting Factoid

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Grassroots computing
> Linux Expo highlights open-source system
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Currently, only 16 percent of PC users in the United States have Linux,a
> | and although that percentage pleases Szmajda and Joe Monti, the club's
> | other co-president, those numbers seem woefully small for an operating
> | system that is virtually hassle-proof.

Let's see.  16 percent of the PC users have Linux.
That's about 34 million, just in the united states.

Another 12% are Macs.  That puts the total at 28%.  Which means that
only 72% of the PCs are running Linux exclusively, even though 99% of
the PCs were sold with Windows.

The good news is that if Linux is growing at 40%/year, and Mac is
getting similar growth, this means that about 13 million new users will
be adopting Linux, and about as many will be adopting Macs, putting
"enhanced" systems at about 30 million or about 40% of annual U.S.
sales.  That's a huge shift for an aftermarket shift.  Keep in mind
that other countries with larger populations and more new users, Linux
has market shares as high as 40%.  The US has the lowest Linux adoption
rate as a percentage of the PC user base.

The last time we saw that kind of aftermarket growth was Trumpet
Winsock and Netscape, within 2 years, 200 million users, the equivalent
of double the annual sales of PCs, were using the Internet and Web
browsers.  Today, nearly 1 billion devices are used to access the Web.