Re: [News] $100 Linux Laptop (CM1) is Improved, Gets a Name

__/ [ Thufir ] on Sunday 27 August 2006 05:07 \__

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>> From: Sinister Midget <phydeaux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: [News] $100 Linux Laptop (CM1) is Improved, Gets a Name
>> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>
>> On 2006-08-26, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>> something concerning:
>>>  OLPC Gets a New Name, New Features
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/26/002217
>>
>> Now it's even /more/ worth the $300 I pledged toward getting one. With
>> those specs it'll beat the pants off the machine I'm using now (even
>> though /it/ only cost $50 at the time).
>>
>> Portable, easily powered, novel. It all adds up in my book.
>
> It's specifically not for consumer use, but for children in the developing
> world.  Does include inner city detroit, for example, though, I wonder?

...And it's built for mesh-type Wi-Fi, which means you gain from having a
/population/ of these laptops in proximity (and within signal's range).
Additionally, it uses Sugar, which doesn't work well for adults.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=195064&cid=15983575

Clearly, you could just install another lean desktop environment instead, but
some stuff might not work 'out of the box'? Here you have a Linux laptop
which is delivered with perfect compatibility. Now, if only more vendors in
the west did this. Microsoft uses scare tactics to prevent this, according
to Novell's CEO.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | SuSE, Mandriva, Fedora - Gotta love them girls
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie