Re: [News] $100 Linux Laptop (CM1) is Improved, Gets a Name

On 2006-08-26, Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:48:38 +0000, Sinister Midget wrote:
>
>> On 2006-08-26, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
>>>  OLPC Gets a New Name, New Features
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/26/002217
>>
>> Now it's even /more/ worth the $300 I pledged toward getting one. With
>> those specs it'll beat the pants off the machine I'm using now (even
>> though /it/ only cost $50 at the time).
>>
>> Portable, easily powered, novel. It all adds up in my book.
>
> I will definitely think about getting one. What holds me back from getting
> any kind of handheld is the lack of a keyboard. I've got a Psion Revo, but
> it can't really communicate with the outside world. This miniature laptop
> could, and would be just right for taking on bus trips, etc where i
> wouldn't take a normal laptop, and has much better capabilities than my
> Psion.

I'm not in the market for a laptop. I don't like them much even though
I have one in the basement with CentOS on it. It was set up more as a
desktop until a few weeks ago. It may go back to doing the same thing
fairly soon.

But I pledged to buy this one for $300 if the conditions are met and
the pledges are called in. It might not get used much more for travel
use than the old does/did. But it'd still be great to have one that
doesn't need to plug into a wall every hour or three.

I don't like smaller portables either. Even less so than laptops.
They're too hard to work with because of size. Yes, many/most have
external keyboards available. Good. How about a large enough screen
that you can see it? And alternative forms of navigation? And
expandability? But if you have all of those, what's the point of a
small item?

I'm not a huge guy, but I can't get accustomed to working with such
small items. I've tried. And I failed.

--
Linux: A culture of repair.
Windows: A culture of despair.