Re: [News] Peak Performance Doubles in Cray's Linux Supercomputer

__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Saturday 26 August 2006 18:37 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 26 August 2006 08:38 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> 75dBa at 3' - wow, that's one /loud/ machine...  and 63A@400V 3-phase,
>>> 14kWh/rack is one /hot/ machine.
>>
>> I wonder what stuff Google can strut with their massive datacentres
>> (parallel as opposed to serial though, sharing the same storage media).
>> Sadly, Google is too secretive about its datacentres, which appear to be
>> many steps ahead of the competition. Bandwidth-wise. Performance-wise. And
>> speaking of /hot/ machines, Google is building some serious cooling plants
>> that are difficult to ignore. They such out a lot of energy, those
>> monsters...
>
> Why not use the energy released thus to drive a steam turbine, or some such
> thing ?
>
> Running a cooling plant to take off the heat seems to be such a waste.

True. Here at Manchester Computing, emitted energy is recycled to heat up the
building. However, even with good routing of the hot air, there is a limit
to what you can achieve without air conditioning. And you can't just have
turbines running inside the server room, so for high density you need to
channel the heat /away/. I'm not too familiar with cooling techniques
though... but I am aware that Google will be /relatively/
environment-friendly (I think I read it somewhere) while they index those
billions of pages. Sun servers are said to be more energy efficient than
typical Linux servers, according to a benchmark I recently saw.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Web 2.0 is everything that can be spammed"
--Unknown
Tasks: 144 total,   1 running, 141 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie