Re: [News] Massachusetts' Move to OpenDocument is Definite, OO.org Preparing for Adoption

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1387787.ReB3UWkCmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Massachusetts reaffirms move to ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Massachusetts, which in 2005 became the first U.S. state to commit to
| using ODF (Open Document Format) in all its offices, has reportedly
| reaffirmed that the policy will indeed begin on Jan. 1, 2007.
|
| Microsoft's accessibility software doesn't work natively on
| OpenOffice.org. However, a set of new plug-ins is being developed that
| will solve the problem, Galli reports.

Also see:

The New Mass ODF Target Date is June 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| I now have a copy of the letter that Massachusetts CIO has sent
| to representatives of the community of people with disabilities, and
| there are a number of details that I was very pleased to see.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20060824194100137

I find it amusing that the text of the article at the consortiuminfo.org link is so small, given the topic under discussion. At least it allowed me to confirm that Opera, like FireFox, does indeed have a text-resizing feature.

Anyway, I'm glad that the visually impaired will also now have the opportunity to choose their preferred office suite, rather than being limited based on the availabilty of accessibility support.

- Oliver