Re: [News] GIMP Launches Paid Usability Project

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Friday 25 August 2006 12:16 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:29:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The window fragmentation is what enables you, for instance, to work on 10
>> images simultaneously in multi-head displays, without all the clutter that
>> is in menus and toolkits.
>
> Except that it *adds* clutter all over the freakin' place.  Just try doing
> an alt-tab, which, by normal standards, switches between apps, or, in some
> cases, between documents (which generally means app instances).  'Cept now
> it's app... app... gimp image... gimp image... gimp toolbar... something
> else... WTF?

Use a good taskbar, or even something like KasBar. Alternatively, cascade the
windows so that the title of each becomes visible. If you group by tasks in
the taskbar, things are simplified as well. It's all just a matter of
habits. If pays of when you learn them. Trust me. *smile*

>> It took me time to comprehend why it's a better
>> way of getting things done (been using GIMP since 2002).
>
> I've been using gimp about that long as well, though I don't use it
> frequently - largely because of its brain-dead UI.
>
>> If this isn't a
>> convenient transition (due to long-acquired habits)
>
> Yeah, alt-tab is, indeed, a long-acquired habit, and one that *works*,
> consistently, with every freakin' app I use on two different OSen...
> except for gimp.  180,000 apps out there that work consistently, they have
> to bugger it all up.  Pity, otherwise it's a decent app.

Different tasks require different behaviours and methods of organisation.
That is, for example, why some applications use tabs (Web browsers), but
some are more hesitant (E-mail client). The Thunderbird team was prepared to
implement it at some stage.

>> , there is a plug-in
>> that achieve what you want and it's also prepackaged under the fork
>> called GIMPShop where, even menu item names and layouts, have been
>> altered to resemble Adobe Photoshop. It has become rather popular for
>> the wrong reasons.
>
> Don't care if it looks like Photoshop or not, if it fixes the asinine
> interface, I'll look into it.

It makes it behave like Photoshop (i.e. the braindead approach).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Here be hills, there be dragons!